The modern technology universe provides healthy lifestyle supporters with the latest gadgets all the time. Along with those it regularly creates new possibilities for going in for sports and tracking health conditions. For instance, several years ago to stay on track in sports one would have to look for a nearby gym, hire a personal coach and change his or her schedule to fit the training sessions. Nowadays many people tend to choose mobile fitness apps instead, and their quantity is increasing! No wonder: fitness apps are more convenient for those, who are willing to pick workout time and place by themselves.
Healthcare apps of a high quality grow more and more popular each day. That's why now is the time to create a fitness app - a unique product, which could gain popularity among thousands or even millions of users all over the world. You shouldn't just believe our words. Instead, let's consider a graph that shows annual and projected growth profits rates in the digital healthcare market during the 5-year period from 2015 till 2020.
If it's still not enough, there are additional data to show how much US citizens care about their lifestyle and on what level are they ready to use a bunch of helpful, high-quality healthcare apps.
In case you wanted us to mention global statistics considering the popularity of fitness apps topic, here it is:
There is one more important reason (alongside with convenience) of why Internet users keep choosing mobile apps as their trainers. It's because of a price, which is way lower than any gym or trainers could agree to work for. We sincerely hope that the facts mentioned above were strong enough to show you, you may want to hire fitness apps developers to build one for you.
What types of fitness apps exist?
No wonder, App Store, as well as Google Play Market, have thousands of different fitness apps with various services and content. Let’s take a closer look at those of them, which managed to get lots of people's attention and become the most popular.
1. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
HIIT became one of the most popular types of sports activities. One of the features of such training is that it's not suitable for all beginners since it requires a certain physical training level for high-quality performance. So, in case you want to develop a fitness application on the high-intensity basis, you should probably not pick sports beginners as your target audience.
2. Diet and nutrition
This application type is being used mostly for the sake of a fast and convenient way to count calories, make week menu and control weight. One of the most important features to include is recognizing barcodes. In such a way customers will be able to determine what's best for them according to products energy value.
3. Activity tracking
As you can see, the name speaks for itself. People use these applications for activity tracking during their workouts. In case you want to develop a fitness application of this type you will have to choose a number and type of activities for it to track. Some of those are designed for particular kind of sports (for instance, hiking or climbing), others can monitor numerous activities (starting from counting steps or burned calories). Note: one will get more benefit from these apps in case of connecting them to fitness bracelets, smartwatches, and other specific devices and using them altogether. These will significantly widen app functionality and will be more helpful for their owners.
4. Personal trainer
The building process and app functionality depend solely on customer goals. To illustrate: some applications may work just as an organizer, helping to set or reschedule training. Others are built as a complete valuable resource for online workouts with personal trainers in real time.
5. Yoga and meditation
Fans of spiritual practices can always order a unique application and practice yoga at any time by choosing the required difficulty level and following the video guides (either from the video or online).
6. Companion fitness apps for wearable devices
This kind of apps is constructed to accompany certain trackers or devices. For instance, one wants to release an entirely new device for tracking physical activity. In this case, he or she has to build a fitness app for it. It also has to be available for smartphones, so future users could monitor results, set goals and receive notifications.
Examples of the best existing fitness apps
Let us show you top 10 rating leaders according to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM):
1. Nike training club (available on both iOS and Android platforms).
Popular fitness clothes and accessories brand decided to build an app as well. NTC delivers 180+ trainers routines in a few workout categories, including strength development, yoga, and so forth. Nike TC also included bonus training sessions from professional Nike trainers and famous personas like Kevin Hart and Cristiano Ronaldo.
2. FREELETICS (available on both iOS and Android systems).
It provides users with a digital version of a professional personal trainer, a bodyweight course an opportunity to workout wherever and whenever you want. It offers enormous training variety to diversify your activities.
3. MapMyFitness (available on both iOS and Android systems).
A perfect solution for those who'd like to exercise outside and stay on track of everywhere they go and wherever they've been. This program has a GPS module to track any physical activity to get feedback on your progress. One can also benefit from custom workout schedules to keep track of their progress.
4. ClassPass (available on iOS and Android platforms).
This app is a universal solution that allows customers to try themselves in any physical activity. The customer can use the exercise programs with different levels of stress, which is optimal for indoors training. The application allows one to broadcast the necessary training material on the TV screen.
5. SworkIt (available on both iOS and Android systems).
The best choice for truly busy people. Although one's schedule may be jam-packed, SworkIt can create a workout program which lasts for 5-60 minutes. This app is user-friendly for people with different fitness education. It includes video guides with personal trainers, explaining every move in details.
6. Adaptive (available on both iOS and Android systems).
A specific audio app for those who love group fitness. Experienced trainers will explain everything right from your iPhone screen. This app contains more than 2500 exercises from more than 12 categories, which helps to renew workout program from time to time.
7. ActiveX (available for iOS users only).
Allows to make a specific workout plan for oneself and create a community of friends/relatives/acquaintances to share one's hacks about training and even follow the same workout schedule.
8. 8fit (available on both iOS and Android systems).
An easy gym-replacement program, which doesn't allow one to lose the workout quality. Along with proper HIIT, 8fit offers nutritional recommendations to speed up the transformation results.
9. Fit body (available for iOS users only).
An amazing app with artificial intelligence, which learns from one's experience and recommends personalized exercises based on it.
10. Strava (available on both iOS and Android platforms).
An app for achieving long-term goals for athletes. One can find some route which is occupied by someone not far from him/her and compete with each other or train together.
Those top 10 representatives are ahead of others because of their specific features, which we'd like to discuss furthermore.
Basic features of the fitness app
A list of features can vary depending on a particular app specialty. But there are a few functions which are truly necessary for every fitness app. Those are:
Account. Personalization in apps is an essential feature, that's why users need an opportunity to create their own account. Thus, in case a user switches from one device to another he or she will be able to restore all the data entered from any other device. Integration with social networks will simplify the registration process.
Additional Sensors. The option to add and synchronize additional sensors for tracking activity, allowing your application to collect user activity data more accurately.
User activity tracking. Even if your product is a stand-alone device and it doesn't have additional activity tracking sensors, your fitness application should include tracking functions for such activities as the number of steps, distance traveled, the number of calories burned, sleep duration and information about the passed building floors.
Geolocation. This application function will help the user to track his location or form a route (for example, for jogging) without the need to use third-party resources with online maps.
Notification. All products that relate to sport and a healthy lifestyle should be used regularly. Notifications will remind the user about the upcoming training, the need for food intake, recommendations for recovery and more.
Daily Goals. For many people, lack of motivation will hey down the excitement of the training process. Therefore, developers should give users a chance to determine their daily goals in weight loss, progress accomplished, or distance traveled for each day. Practice shows that if you set a goal and get a reward for it, then the process of achieving it will force the user to be highly motivated in, for example, gaining a badge.
Settings. Settings are essential in any application. Create a specific fitness app design which allows users to customize some of the functions of the application to make it more personalized. It is crucial that, regardless of the number of variables, the setup menu always remains as simple and convenient to use as possible.
How to develop the MVP
The development of a minimum viable product is exactly what we advise as an optimal solution for beginners in the digital business. It is also the most convenient way to go for those who want to launch a new product with minimum risks, but at the same time meet the requirements and expectations of the target audience.
So how to make a fitness app? We always adhere to certain stages while working in a project. It still works perfectly and helps us to understand and realize the desires of not only every our customer but also of the consumers of the product that we create.
1. The first stage begins after an interview with the business owner, during which we determine the whole amount of wishes and requirements for the future product. Based on this, we create a Mind Map, which allows representatives of our fitness app development company to structure all the information received, understand the general idea of the product and learn the necessary details.
2. Furthermore, having enough information about the future product, we create application sketches. It helps us visualize its structure and possible ways of the future interaction of users and application. These sketches are not too detailed. Their main help is to determine whether we are moving in the right direction.
3. After agreeing on sketches with the stakeholder, we proceed to create the most detailed wireframe for a more profound description of the product and all kinds of interaction with it. This stage does not provide color palette detailing. Attention is given to the size of the elements, pictograms, and content.
4. The next step of the fitness app development is creating a product prototype. By having a ready-made prototype, we can visually test the level of user interaction with the application interface and discuss the results in detail with the customer and approve it.
5. After the wireframe approval, we proceed to create the concept of the application design, that is, the mockup. On this stage, we work through several options of the visual part (interface).
6. Before we give the project directly to the development department, we recheck the correctness and form a detailed technical task for the programmers.
7. The work of programmers begins with the construction of the system architecture, that is, the introduction of basic technologies, on which the structure of the application will depend. Without it, future development and expansion of the application functionality will be impossible. After that, the application design can already be implemented.
8. Next, it's time to develop the user interface and the software part of the service.
9. When all the previous steps are completed, the time for the product testing comes. This is a crucial stage in the course of which we identify and correct errors in the application's operation.
10. The final stage of development includes choosing a hosting provider, placing the application on the server(s) and, of course, launching the app.
This particular system gives the customer an opportunity to stay on track with the work process and receive timely reports of every stage.
What is the cost to build a fitness app? That is the vital question, especially for startup owners. The answer is as follows: it depends on how fast you expect it to be done and on how many features you want it to include.
This table is an example of one of our past projects. Let's consider the number of hours we spent on developing a fitness application for iOS and Android with basic functionality, using this example:
Quality Assurance (QA)
Total hours - Design - 141h
Total Hours - Mobile Development - 1169h
Total hours - Back-end - 264h
Total hours - QA - 254h
Grand Total - 1828h
Of course, as it was mentioned, the final price of a fitness MVP depends on many different factors. Which is why, in case you need one too, you may contact our fitness app developers for hire. They will be ready to help you to fulfill your task. You will be asked to fill in the prepared brief to calculate the price accurately. Feel free to contact us!