Nowadays, long texts and standard static presentations are no longer considered as high-quality marketing tools for describing products or businesses. The effectiveness of these tools is decreasing every day.
So what is the solution to the problem? Use motion graphics for your marketing needs.
An explainer is a moving graphics that holds the maximum amount of information about your product and delivers it to your client in a minute, or so. With the help of a motion graphics video, it is possible to present a large amount of information, tell about technology, advantages, motivate to purchase a product, while in 2018 standard texts and pictures are already losing their effectiveness.
Here are some numbers:
93% of entrepreneurs and businesses state that explainer videos help their customers to understand faster how their services work.
83% of companies convinced of the video graphics effectiveness.
76% of the whole audience say that they are ready to share an entertaining explainer video with their friends.
65% of users would share an informative video.
39% of entrepreneurs, for some reason, still do not create graphics videos and use it as a part of marketing strategy.
In this article, we will talk about how to create motion graphics for an explainer video. We wish that the styles of explainer videos and stages of their production described below will serve as a tutorial for everyone who wants to grow their business and get the most from their marketing campaigns.
Types of Explainer Videos
There are several styles of explainer videos, and each of them requires a different approach to production.
Let’s take a closer look at each of the most popular ones.
1. Whiteboard animation. The main feature of this style is that all content is created right before the eyes of the viewer. You probably remember those animations in which the hand draws with a pencil or a felt-tip pen on a sheet of paper. When this idea first appeared, all those animations were drawn live by hand, and the process itself was simply filmed with a video camera. Today, technology allows the creation of whiteboard explainer videos in digital mode.
Explainer videos made in this genre engage the target audience, excite its curiosity and are perfect for both B2C and B2B.
2. 3D Animation. To date, this technique is considered the most solid and gives endless opportunities for the implementation of any ideas. Do you want to conquer the viewer with excellent video quality, show your product from all possible angles in a multifaceted and colorful way, and immerse the viewer into virtual reality? Then, 3D animation is what you need. Any revolutionary project or global idea can be explained to the wider audience with the help of such videos.
3. Cartoon animations are helpful in the production of amusing and emotional explainer videos. They are very popular among viewers and marketers. They are easy to gain attention, are well remembered and allow to show unlimited creativity.
Cartoon explainers are designed to tell stories about how the company solves customer problems. It is indispensable for branding and company or service personification. In this case, the main character of the video often personifies the brand or customer and usually has the gender, age, and interests of the average target audience representative.
4. Screen Capture. One of the simplest and most budgetary types of explainer videos. To create a successful explainer using this style, first of all, you need excellent picture quality and competent voice accompaniment. Screen capture explainers are great for the first steps in marketing when launching a new product, for educating customers and in situations when you need to allure a client to test the service before the purchase.
Stages of Explainer Video Creation
To achieve the goal, bring new customers, and increase sales for your business, you should wisely approach the production process. You should follow a specific sequence of steps. It helps to optimize the whole process, regardless of the of the goals it pursues.
Our team always implements these steps in the following order:
1. Script. It is a fundamental step that determines the entire subsequent process of the video graphic effects creation. Of course, anyone can try to write the script by themselves, but, in most cases, it’s better to ask professionals for help. Experts know the specifics of each style and format of explainer videos, they are well-versed in modern trends, and they have the experience.
The script must represent the entire structure of the future video written in as much detail as possible. The structure might look like that:
Short presentation of the product or service;
Introduction of a customer’s problem;
Presentation of the suggested solution;
Confirmation of the success (for example, recognition of your qualifications and professionalism, list of famous clients, awards, etc.)
It is to point out your offer, product information, and benefits. When creating motion graphic script, all helpful details must be determined to make the further stages of production more clear and fast.
2. Storyboard - previsualization sketch of all the actions that, according to the script, should take place in the future video. This definition of the visual representation should depict all possible transitions, frames, as well as the text of the future voice-over. These may not be highly detailed drawings, usually black and white, which will reflect the entire sequence of actions and angles, and provide the basis for the stage of illustration design.
3. Illustration design. The storyboard is just a sketch, and the phase of the illustration design is made for the creation of original illustrations of characters, backgrounds and all other details that will appear during the animation. When we already have highly detailed drawings in our hands, we coordinate them with the stakeholder and, if needed, make corrections until the illustration design fully complies with the client’s wishes.
4. Animation. As soon as we receive positive feedback from the stakeholder regarding the compliance of the illustration design with the concept, we start working on the animation. It is a complex stage, during which all the sketches and graphics for the video come to life and slowly begin to turn into a finished product.
5. Voice-over. Except for those cases when the explainer video is created without a voice-over, or when it is accompanied only with some sound effects, this stage must be paid the maximum attention to. Use the services of professionals only, because better to go without the voice-over at all when it comes to the animated explainer video rather use a bad one.
6. Sound effects. Selection of sound effects for your video is no less critical than recording the voice-over or animation design. The sound design creates the overall allure of the video, emphasizing the tiniest details. Thanks to it, video looks more lively, energetic, and has a better effect on potential customers.
To find the perfect sound for the animation graphics you need to:
Determine a message you want to convey to the audience;
Understand what kind of music most of your target audience representatives prefer;
Select several best hits and, by trial and error, choose the one that will set the mood to the video;
Check whether you have the right to use the selected track for commercial purposes.
7. As soon as we have finished the animation, voice-over and sound effects, it is time to put it all together and, finally, receive a ready-made video explainer that will work for any business needs better than hundreds of articles springing up around the websites.
Now your video explainer is ready to enter the market and conquer thousands of audiences. It is time to share your creation with potential customers. However, the ways to do it is a whole different story!
Subscribe to our newsletter if you always want to stay on top of things!
Do you want to create an explainer for your business, but are not sure that you can handle it yourself? Send us a request via the contact form and let’s discuss your project and the ways we can help you with it.